Wednesday Classwork: Sumerian City-State Real Estate Ad project - this will be an in-class project due Friday at the end of the period.
Wednesday Classwork: Study Sync lesson (online) - Central or Main Idea
(Note: Part of this lesson included a "Your Turn" quiz. These short quizzes,
usually 2 questions, are part of the Study Sync program and test students
on how well they are understanding the concepts.
The questions are often based on inferences
that students need to make while reading closely and using text evidence to
determine answers. They are not easy!
I will be entering these quiz grades into Power School as a
very small 2 point test grade that is not fully weighted. A score of 0/2 will not
greatly impact a student's overall grade, but be aware that
Power School will assign a letter grade of F. )
- "Guts" green packet - "Reading: Main Idea" pages 6-7
- Unit test will be on Friday. It will include the following skills:
* "Guts" by Gary Paulsen - comprehension questions (re-read the excerpt)
* "Guts" comprehension skill - Determining Main Idea
* "Guts" grammar skill - Greek and Latin roots
* "Guts" vocabulary - catastrophic, expression, confluence, prolific, sheepishly, inconvenience
* "Stray" literature skill - Elements of Plot
* "Stray" and "Guts" comprehension skill - making inferences
* "Stray" vocabulary - exhausted, ignore, grudgingly, starvation, timidly, trudged
(Note: All of the vocabulary definitions and skills review worksheets can be found
in the green packets for "Stray" and "Guts." The English Journal
also has some important lessons that are helpful for review.)
Wonder Valley News -
There will be a meeting for students on Friday at 12:30 in the auditorium
to go over some of the details of the trip.
Remember, students should plan on arriving at 6:30 a.m. on Monday morning.
Please be on time! Bus assignments will be posted on the windows of Room 303,
Mr. Dahlstein's room, and then students should go directly to their
assigned bus to stow luggage and board.
Looking forward to a great week!
Monday (10/2) - Friday (10/6): Wonder Valley!
Thursday (10/5): Java with Jason (HMS Cafeteria)
9:00 - 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Friday (10/13): Quarter 1 Ends (Minimum Day)
Saturday (10/21): Hauntington Breakfast (8:00 - 11:00 a.m.)