About Mrs. Moffat
Mrs. Moffat grew up in San Marino and attended Carver, Huntington, and San Marino High School! She received her undergraduate degree in English literature from U.C. Berkeley (Go Bears!) and has two Master's degrees in Education -- one for Special Education (mild/moderate disabilities through giftedness) and the other for Grades K-8 Teaching. She has been married for 30 years and has three adult children!
Before becoming a full-time teacher, Mrs. Moffat was an educational therapist, the Director of Alumni Relations at Polytechnic School where she also taught electives to Juniors and Seniors, and the Communications Director for a lobbying group in downtown Los Angeles.
Mrs. Moffat started teaching in San Marino in 2009, first as a long-term substitute for 6th and 8th grades. She then spent a year teaching 4th grade at Carver before landing in her present 6th grade position. In 2018, Mrs. Moffat received Huntington PTA's Halo Award for "going above and beyond" for her students. She feels blessed to be working in a job she loves with such terrific students, supportive parents, and friendly and dedicated colleagues.
Teaching Goals and Philosophy:
- to create a warm and collaborative classroom environment with stimulating academics and character-building opportunities
- to present lessons in a variety of ways to include all learning styles
- to uphold a safe climate where students feel free to take risks, embrace the learning process (mistakes), and develop a positive growth mindset
- to develop independent thinkers and learners
- to respect students as individuals
- to nurture thoughtful, empathetic citizens
- to empower students to reach their full potential